Saturday, August 22, 2009

Startled.

Pretty much daily I'm reminded of The Sibling Fact of Life.

You know...whether older or younger, siblings make you realize a lot about yourself. They are usually the first ones to discover if you take teasing well, what frustrates you, what you have patience with or who, especially whom you do not. And siblings are supposed to be good for us. And I believe they usually are. Sometimes, we'd like to think they only bring out the worst in us but really they are just bringing out us...sibling or no we all make decisions on how we will respond.

It dawned on me this week just how much I influence my siblings. It's positively frightening. It just might make me turn into a Paranoid Recluse one of these days. I guess I forgot how much I looked up to my older siblings while growing up. In lots of ways I wanted to be just like them.

I started waitressing for the first time this past week. Not a day later did I see my four little sisters in aprons. They're always dressing up in outfits so at first I didn't think twice about. The next thing I know I am being asked subtle questions like, "Lydia, if you ever had a restaurant, what would you call it?"

...so it finally dawned on me what they were up to...


Tonight I got back from work and took out my violin for the first time in ages. Moments later, Talitha toddled in and began heaving the little guitar from the corner. Esther began to beg, "can I please try your violin???"

I don't want to think about all the other things they see me do!

::EDIT::

Is it too hard to read my posts on the new background? Does the type need to be changed?

If you find it irritating, please let me know.

2 comments:

Abigail Marie Kramer said...

this is so true! I know I was really influenced by my older siblings, and wonder what kind of a role model i was for my younger brothers....

and I really like the new layout... rather exotic (with diamond studded flowers...) *grin* and not too hard to read at all!

miss you lots and lots.

Lyd said...

Thanks! and thanks for letting me know about the layout.

*sigh*

I miss you.