Thursday, August 20, 2009

Day 15 Monday, July 27

Today we all got ready and walked to the bus stop. The buses or for that matter, all traffic here is insane. Grant and I were sitting in the back of the bus and it was like being on a roller coaster. Up and down, round and round we went coming to sudden screeching halts and then revving off again.

Suddenly, we came to a another screeching halt but this time we didn't rev off...everyone but our group stepped down. Laurie turned around and said, "buses are on strike."

I thought she was joking. Judy was arguing away in Portuguese with the driver. Several of our fellow passengers were trying to explain to Grant through the window. Finally it dawned on me that this was for real. We all stumbled off.

The streets were full of pedestrians. Hundreds and hundreds of people on their way to work, school, touring, were suddenly all in the same dilemma. Bus after bus was stopped till the streets were lined with them. We all walked the rest of the way to the opera house.

The Manaus Opera House is very beautiful. It has wood from all over the world in it. After that we walked down to the street vendors, trying not to be squashed by all the traffic, and down to the market. It was interesting and fun. We spent nearly the whole day there. Tonight we've played games and Pastor Eric, Gene Babylon, and Alan Graham packed their stuff and are waiting to leave to the airport.

I know this is crazy but I'm so tired by 8:00 now I can hardly stay awake. This jungle life is growing on me. Earlier when I was down in the market buying some postcards this Brazilian lady came up behind me speaking softly, laid her head on my shoulder closing her eyes and then kissed it. I stood absolutely frozen. Not understanding was saying and feeling absolutely awkward. Alan Graham was standing a few feet away and just watched the whole thing with wide eyes. I looked at him, swallowed and quickly paid for my postcards. Yes, I'm discovering that Brazilians are a little strange at times.

Day 16 Tuesday, July 28

I guess the story of the little bug above [imagine one, please] needs to be told since Jannie and Mr Fockler suggested putting it in here.

Yesterday, I was sitting in the living room with everyone and I'd just finished eating a handful of granola - while I was talking I realized I still had a piece in my had so I popped it in my mouth. I bit it with my front teeth absently and to my surprise it was juicy and shelly. I feverishly began spitting and gagging while everyone looked on in wonderment. Jannie, sitting next to me looked down at my hand and said, "it's a bug!" Everyone began roaring with laughter. I was still busy making horrible expressions from the horrendous taste of bug guts and legs. I jumped up to wash my mouth out and called back in defense , "I thought it was granola!" this only made them laugh harder.

I remain the end to every bug joke they can think of.

I had headaches today and felt sluggish (or maybe buggish) and my stomach still isn't right. A lot of it may be from my allergies to cats, dogs etc they have both in the house. We went to the zoo today. A nice small zoo with all sorts of cats (jungle), alligators, fun exotic birds, and *shiver* snakes. I'm so thankful we didn't see snakes while out in the jungle...although I'm sure they were around.

I'm so sad we had to leave the village. I wish we could have stayed longer. Parting from them broke my heart and I'm afraid it made me cry. Even if I never come back (although I truly hope I do) I will never forget them.

The guys spent part of the day mending doors on the Judy's and Cathy's house. It made them very happy.

Ever since I got back from the jungle and have been in communication with my family I've really been missing them. I'm so thankful for email. I'm afraid we might be running poor Judy to a tizzy with all the running about she does for us - she's amazing.

I'm missing the guys that left last night. Mr Babylon had an awesome sense of dry humor. I loved it. The atmosphere has definitely changed since they left.

No comments: