Sunday, August 16, 2009

Brazil - day 3, I must have had way too much time to write!

Day 3 Wednesday, July 15

I think I'm still in shock that I'm actually in Brazil. I find it increasingly incredible when I pause and realize that without knowing the language I can tell Marie, the cook, how good her food is, how we can argue about washing the dishes. how the driver can tell how tired he is and that he has a headache....

Judy King is amazing. I have already begun to respect her so much - sometimes though she starts chattering away looking at me for comfort and I find myself staring back in kindof a daze and realize afterwards everything she said was in Portuguese and I didn't understand one word for a good reason. She's lived here 35 years. She has such a big heart even though she's tough on the outside. Yesterday morning she suddenly grabbed me and gave me an enormous hug and sighing said, "I'm so glad you guys are here."

I couldn't fall asleep in my hammock last night so I tired the deck - it wasn't too much better. I woke up every hour and realized I had rolled to the railing. I finally just got up at 5:45 and took a shower - I can honestly say, a shower has never felt better. Not that it was much of one. It's right in the bathroom which is about 2' x 3'.

It was pitch black by 7:00 last night. Judy taught Jannie and I how to play Brazilian dominoes. She's hilarious about it.
We won't arrive in the village until 7:00 tomorrow night but everyone is enjoying this boat ride so it's alright. 40 minutes ago we left the halfway point. We had a prayer and bible time this morning and Judy explained how things will happen in the village. Now everyone is just relaxing i.e. talking, journaling, watching dolphins and a couple of the guys are fishing.
Jared Fockler reminds me a lot of my brother Josiah. If his little sister Andrea is not the end of his every joke than I am. He some how thinks I ought to listen to him. Andrea and I take the teasing in completely different directions though. She just sits there and takes it and I retaliate and tease in return. I somehow feel like Jared and Daniel act like I'm a sister - so I've decided to treat them like brothers. Last night Jared's hammock broke part way when he laid in it. Everyone on our end of the boat laughed until we ached.


Later:

It's evening now, the sunset disappears. I just came up from a feast of watermelon and mansa. The mansa is like a potato and after a couple of bites I felt stuffed. Then we pulled up to a small town - or maybe it was a village, I didn't catch a name. We were right alongside a river boat which was full of the most adorable children. We tried exchanging names but mostly we just grinned at one another. It was becoming increasingly humid - about six of us lounged in the prow while Maxi, the driver talked to us. We had no idea what he was saying but that didn't bother him in the least. He kept telling us stories and laughing which made us laugh and then he'd laugh harder. Jared was trying to fish and figure out what would be good bait. Jannie has a wort on her finger and Maxi started talking about it to her. She thought he was telling her how to get rid of it. And I guess he was because when we asked Judy to translate for us he said she should cut it off and use it for fish bait. He thought this joke was hilarious. I'll never forget these days. Not in my wildest fancies have I ever thought I'd be happily laughing on the Amazon a Brazilian and five other people circumstance has thrown together.

I can't fall asleep so I'm going to write some more. We had beans again and mansa for dinner and coffee. Their coffee is so sweet! They boil it with cane sugar. It's thick too - like a syrup. You can't drink a lot at a time.

It was dark and they were using the searchlight so I went to the prow to see if I could spot some crocodiles. The driver, Maxi, started talking to me. I had to ask Judy what the word for crocodile was. So I asked him if we'd see any, he nodded vigorously and pointed to the water but I didn't see anything for the hour I was up there. He kept asking me questions - if any of the other people were my siblings, if Jared and Jannie were 'espousa', if I was married etc. For the most part though I had to helplessly put my hands in the air, then he'd put his hand on my shoulder, shake his head, and laugh. I had to laugh as well.

No comments: