Monday, August 17, 2009

Day 8 Monday, July 20th

We got a lot done today on the church - a hot and tiring time though. The indians are working on the roof while we work below. They are amazingly skilled with wood work. Their beams are long and straight and everything is notched perfectly. All they use is a chainsaw and machete most of the time.

The children are very friendly now and adorable. I don't want to think about leaving them. After work Jannie, Andrea, Cama, and I went down for a swim. Several of the little indian girls were already there so I started to growl and chase them. They loved it and in the end they wouldn't let any of us get out but physically dragged us back in. During the middle of that an indian woman signaled me over and gave me a basket she had weaved. She is so absolutely adorable...I wish I could have expressed my gratitude better.

Day 9 Tuesday July 21st

I don't know how I'm going to leave this place -- especially the children. Every time they see us they run up and embrace and hang on us. If we walk out of the house several will run up and body slam from every direction. The love to mimic what we say in English. To one of them I said, "are you my girl?" she laughed and grabbed my hand, "my girl!" she chirped back.

I braided their hair today...they look so hot with it down all the time. They loved it. They also love posing for pictures but look very solemn in them.

Right now the men are finishing the roof, the church is nearly done. We don't have quite enough brick and mortar but we're doing the best we can.

An old woman from the village came up to to the house today and gave us all Apurina names. Mine is, Ko Pakiaro.

The team is now talking about leaving on Friday instead of Sunday - all of us girls want to stay until Sunday but there are several people were are sick and we need to get back to the city.

We've had a lot of paca and bean jokes because we've eaten them so much. I don't mind it though.

Another boat came today with Brazilians they are having some kind of meeting with the indians.

Last night I went to bed early not feeling well. I woke up about an hour later. Judy and Laurie were talking in the kitchen with an Apurina family. I went to sit and listen. The man asked me my name and then said he was going to name his next child after me. I love the way they pronounce my name, "Leedia". Some of them even shorten it to "Lyd" which I often go by at home.

It took a long time to fall asleep after that but when I did it felt wonderful. The first night I haven't awakened every half hour.

No comments: