Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I’m about to say something that is talked about all the time. But before you flee for fear of boredom....please read just a little further.

Do you know what Americans talk about ALL the time? Race. And yet, we still get accused of not wanting to talk about it as an “open” issue. We are constantly accused of being racist. Race is continually labeled as a problem in our country.

To be honest with you; I’m absolutely sick of this issue. We’ve had it fed to us in every possible form. I am not about to say it is not a problem…but I think the media triggers a great deal of how Americans view it as a problem.

Just for the record, I don’t have any problem talking or associating with people who have darker skin than I. However, living in rural North Dakota there just isn’t lots of dark skinned people here. We’re all Scandinavians.

I also realize that in America black people used to be segregated: in schools, stores, and many social activities. Not everyone in our country believed this was right, which is why these people fought and eventually won against the discrimination held against fellow humans solely because they happened to have more melanin in there skin. However in the last 50 years, things have changed.

What I’m wondering is: why is this even an issue?

Oh yes, we’ve advanced so much in our country. Communication has gone through the roof. Our economy has gone to pot. Our school system is crap. But our technology is beyond the wildest imagination of 50 years ago. Yes, we are an innovative and developed people.

And yet, we shake our heads perplexed as to why we struggle with what should be far behind us.

Do you know what I notice about myself? I notice that if I begin to think about this issue in the way the media discusses it, I fall into their trap. You look at the world just like they do: dividing everyone up by their skin colour. You notice black people. You think about them differently.

I believe that the people that scream about this issue are the very people who do have problems themselves with how they think about black people.

But white people are not the only ones who are racist. Oh no. But we are the only ones slammed for it. Haven’t you notice? Black people can be just as racist. Do you remember the mayor of New Orleans, Ray Nagin, saying, “It's time for us to rebuild a New Orleans, the one that should be a chocolate New Orleans. And I don't care what people are saying Uptown or wherever they are. This city will be chocolate at the end of the day.” If that isn’t a racist statement I don’t know what is. Yes, there was uproar afterwards and he took back his remarks. But, can you imagine what would have happened to a white person who said as much?

If our country has problems with race, it is because it is continually thrown at us.

I think the media needs to shut up about things they know nothing about. Maybe find out how real average Americans think about this. Instead of perpetually feeling sorry for black people…how about treating them like normal people. Taking people for who they really are and not judging them by their colour.

Please, stand up for yourself. Don’t believe everything the media feeds you. Use the backbone that, as an American, you’re credited with.

1 comment:

Chxzanadeau said...

Hey...I know this is an old post, but I just had to comment...I completely, wholeheartedly agree! I am so, so tired of hearing about this issue - in is almost always blown way out of proportion - this, and feminism...but that is another discussion on its own. Thanks for the post!