Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Sight. Hearing. Touch. Smell. Taste.

I believe that covers the traditional five senses.

I was thinking today just how incredible each one is. How often I forget the wonder of even one. And how happy and grateful I am that Chance and the phenomenal Big Bang worked together to collaborate them. >>>>>>>Okay. That sounds absolutely ridiculous. God is an amazing creator.

In particular, I am so thankful for the sense of Smell. I think my nose is becoming more refined in it's ability to smell. I use it so much more of late! I have fallen into a dreadful habit of grudging the fact that I can't eat so many things. Actually that's not even it. Even stuff I can eat that shouldn't technically bother me, does.

I decided I'm going to revel more in the beauty of smell. Because really, although when we eat we use the sense of Touch (texture) and also Taste and Sight, these become almost nothing if there is no Smell. I suppose this is why I don't mind at all cooking things I can't eat. Smell spikes the imagination to grand heights ingraining itself in the memory. Which is why some people associate certain smells with poignant memories and places.

Begin Breathing in the world around you.

Life would be so bland without smell. Not only would the pleasure of eating be diminished but literally everything else with it. When I think smell, I think: Walks, Spring, Fall, Haying, Tae Kwon Do, Plants, Rivers, Books, Gardens, Grandma's house, Clothes, Paper, Ironing, Old Buildings, Food...it goes on and on.

Breathe yes, but inhale the savory, the twitchy, and the pungent with it.

Wallow in this beauty of Life.


3 comments:

John Trandem said...

If those are the traditional five senses, what are the contemporary ones? ; )

Thank you so much for verbalizing these observations! I have long been a huge proponent of olfactory reminiscence. I have a much more acute smell memory than sight, sound, or touch. I associate various scents with my favorite places, cars, people, toys, etc. When I lived in Mpls. I used to walk the halls of the Mall of America, and to this day, I think I could identify any locale within that building by scent. I can't tell how much this hit home and how much I enjoyed reading it. Thank you.

John Trandem said...

I love this post! I have read it so many times! Yum!

Lyd said...

Thank you.

I just seem to feel an odd sense of incompleteness about the whole thing. Perhaps that's just me. Brain Cramp, perhaps.

I seem to be senseing this with all my writing of late though. As if all that I say is lacking a major component. It's frustrating.